New, CCSS-aligned Units of Study
Units of Study for Teaching Writing, Grade-by-Grade: A Yearlong Workshop Curriculum
Narrative, Informational and Persuasive Writing, Grades K–8
Authored by Lucy Calkins and colleagues from the Reading and Writing Project
The series that helped hundreds of thousands of educators revolutionize their primary and intermediate writing workshop instruction is now offering the grade-specific support teachers have been clamoring for. Building on the best practices and proven frameworks in the original Units of Study for Teaching Writing series, this new series offers elementary and middle school teachers grade-by-grade plans for teaching state-of-the-art writing workshops.
These new units of study will:
- help you teach narrative, informational, and persuasive writing with increasing complexity and sophistication
- unpack the Common Core writing standards as they guide students to attain and exceed those expectations
- weave in engaging mentor texts to foster a strong reading/writing connection
- require high-level thinking including more opportunities to synthesize, analyze, and critique
- be longer and more writing intensive to foster greater independence and fluency
- present numerous opportunities for writing across the curriculum
- include regular performance assessments to help monitor mastery and differentiate instruction
- provide a ladder of exemplar texts that model writing progression across the K–8 continuum.
Grades K–8 / Guide + 5 units + Resources CD-ROM at each grade level (c) 2013
Watch the series grow at www.UnitsofStudy.com or visit www.heinemann.com